What is an Otoplasty?
In cases of protruding or over-developed ears, the procedure of otoplasty may be a cosmetic surgery option. Otoplasty is commonly referred to as “pinning back” of the ears.
Your Otoplasty Experience
Dr. Waheed Mohamed is trained in several surgical methods for eliminating the majority of the problems related to protruding ears. Commonly a combination of removing overgrown cartilage and shaping existing cartilage is required for optimal results.
The procedure typically takes only a few hours and can be performed under either IV sedation or general anesthesia. The doctor will discuss this option and the benefits of each method with you.
Otoplasty for Kids
Otoplasties are available for children once their ears have stopped developing. This normally occurs around the age of six. Over-developed ears can be the cause of psychological stress and trauma. It should be treated at a young age before it becomes a serious issue.
Expect two-to-three days of recovery before normal activities can be performed. Consult with your surgeon before attempting any athletic or precarious activities that may affect the healing process.
- Sutures and bandages are used to speed healing
- Expect bruising around the area that fades in 2-3 weeks.
- Minimal amount of pain that can be easily treated with oral medication.
- Bandages are replaced with a lighter dressing
- Refraining from sleeping on the ears is required
- Showering with shampoo may begin after a few days